- Lena Headey attended the 2019 Emmys with a brand new tattoo on her hand.
- Headey, who was nominated for her role on HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” posted a photo of the elaborate ink on Sunday morning.
- “You master,” she wrote on Instagram, tagging the Los Angeles-based tattoo artist Doctor Woo. “Already in the next realm with my scarab.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Mere hours before joining the “Game of Thrones” cast at the 2019 Emmys on Sunday, Lena Headey debuted a massive new tattoo on her hand.
Headey, who was nominated for her role as Cersei Lannister on the HBO show, posted a photo of the elaborate ink on Sunday morning.
“You master,” she wrote on Instagram, tagging the Los Angeles-based tattoo artist Doctor Woo. “Already in the next realm with my scarab.”
The symbol of a scarab, which is a sort of dung beetle, held great importance in ancient Egyptian religion.
Scarabs were associated with “the divine manifestation of the early morning sun,” according to the Encyclopedia Britannica. Additionally, the scarab hieroglyph “refers variously to the ideas of existence, manifestation, development, growth, and effectiveness.”
Headey’s scarab tattoo is visible in some photos of her on the Emmys purple carpet, as well as throughout the show at LA’s Microsoft Theater.
Headey was one of four “Thrones” stars nominated at the Emmys for outstanding supporting actress in a drama series. Headey, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, and Gwendoline Christie all lost out to “Ozark” Julia Garner.
“Game of Thrones” did take home the prize for outstanding drama series. See the full list of winners here.
- Read more:
- All the looks your favorite celebrities wore to the 2019 Emmys
- ‘Game of Thrones’ fans think Gwendoline Christie’s Emmys dress had a subtle nod to Brienne and Jaime’s love story
- Why 4 ‘Game of Thrones’ stars weren’t onstage with the other cast members at the Emmys
- Sophie Turner and Kit Harington reunited at the Emmys and it’s reminding fans of an iconic ‘Game of Thrones’ moment